What is a crypto wallet?
Simply put, a cryptocurrency wallet is a digital wallet where use store your cryptocurrencies.
To expand on this: a cryptocurrency wallet is a type of bank account where you can store your digital currency. You can store and use bitcoins to buy goods and services. You can use a regular cash to get bitcoins or other coins in the account. This wallet is usually an online service that allows you to retrieve your bitcoins from a secure location.
Once your bitcoins are in the wallet, you can conduct financial transactions with them. Online wallets are convenient because you don’t have to worry about losing your wallet, because they keep secure offline, and you don’t need to worry about storing and securing your private keys.
In Bitcoin, all transactions are stored on the blockchain. This means that every time you send some Bitcoin to someone, a transaction has to be sent to the blockchain. This blockchain is the digital ledger that keeps track of the transactions in Bitcoin.
There are a lot of cryptocurrencies and many types of wallets.
There are several types of cryptocurrency wallets. Among them are:
- Browser based wallets. This wallet is operated on your desktop or laptop. With a browser based wallet, you log in using your username and password. You use the wallet on your desktop or laptop.
- Desktop wallets – This wallet is mainly focused on desktop. You need to download the wallet app and you can access the wallets through the desktop.
- Mobile wallets – This wallet is mainly focused on mobile. Most of the people think of their smartphone and cryptocurrency when it comes to crypto. With the rise of smartphones and other devices, this is changing fast.
To make a decision on which wallet to choose, you should consider the following questions:
- What type of currency do you want to invest in?
- Do you prefer to store your coins on your phone or tablet?
- Do you trust your cryptocurrency with a company, such as Coinbase, Bitstamp or Kraken?
- Do you want to have a “private wallet”?
All of the questions above (among others) are questions that you need to answer before choosing your wallet.
This article is not sponsored in any way. Our income comes only from donations, so we don’t depend on anyone. Read more about our journalistic values and how you can support our mission.
Nothing on Cryptinus constitutes professional and/or financial advice. Always think for yourself and make sound decisions when investing. Never invest money that you can’t afford to lose.